Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 38 - Sensing Nature

Well it was about time that I got to the 'Sensing Nature' exhibition at the Mori Art Museum...I think everyone has been there but me!  It closes on 7th November and if you get a chance to go, it is a winner.  For 1500Yen, I left feeling inspired.  Sensing Nature - Mori Arts Museum 
The following works is from Yoshioka Tokujin (he did a version of this for Issey Miyake back in 1997, but this one is bigger (and better) I think...



My favorite 'piece' from the day is by Kurabashi Takashi, love the interactive-ness (is that a word?) but also how huge this is, how on earth did he construct thisHe is interested in "spaces where some kind of border or series of layers divides the world into different zones".  Check out this massive paper surface and the world he created when you pop your head through it....

His second of three works in the exhibition include a film and model called 'The Yatai trip'.  A 'Yatai' is a fold out food stall.  (Meanwhile, this is exactly what I need to open up my toasted sandwiches and coffee food stall on level 7 computer labs at end of semester RMIT) Anyways, He and his team (a musician and photographer) took this 'Yatai' to the border of South and North Korea.  They set themselves up, played music and filmed the experience. 

I love the crinkled projection screen in this exhibition too, I wonder if it was tyvek?...



And at the end of the exhibition they had a 'Nature Book Lounge' where you are welcomed to browse through over 500 Japanese and English books on nature.  What a collection, many I could not read but still beautiful.  And what a set up, I would like my house to be like this I think.  Maybe they took inspiration from Gamper Martino- 100 Chairs in 100 Days (Eva posted this link on facebook and I have been thinking about it ever since...



Oh, and lastly, I took this one for Bridge, algae pots? 


A long post today but I hope it was worth it! 
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am so jealous that you got to see that. I was looking at his work a little while ago and awestruck.
    Have you named your bike yet? x

    ReplyDelete