Wednesday, September 15, 2010

First 24 hours in Tokyo


Epic.

12:30pm: Arriving at Narita Airport, it was a straight forward train ride to Asakusa.

3pm: I am staying at Khaosan Tokyo Original in a 8-bed girl dorm for cheap cheap 2000Y per night. I can see the Asahi building (think the one with the big gold terd on top, thankyou
Philippe Starck) from my bed. While this is a plus, maybe I am getting to old for hostels...at 10:30pm last night there was a girl packing her bag. She had plastic bags in plastic bags in bigger plastic bags. I don't think she got the memo that you should have plastic bags in dorm rooms. Melon told me this and its a good rule to go by. I was trying to be the polite tourist that I am, but after 25 mins of 'rustle rustle' I glared at her. It did not work. 'Rustle rustle'...

Next day
9am: Dani's friend Loz had been in touch (she has been living in Tokyo for 1.5 years now) and we arranged to meet at Shinagawa station for a coffee, after a very easy train trip, 20mins and one change over, I meet Loz and we hit 'Dean and Deluca' for coffee. (So excited, I had not been there since I was in New York). And she gave me some great hints and tips and a bit of insight into the way that Japanese people do things...and she hooked me up with a Suica
train card that has save my life today traipsing all over the city, just top it up and then 'tap on, tap off' at each station.

11am: So then onto Sakura House, just near Shinjuku Station to sign the lease on my room. I reserved a room, just 3 subway stations from Shinjuku, Nakanoshinbashi. It is a 3BR flat on the top floor sharing with an American guy and french girl (have not met them yet). My room is 9.5m and has two windows (very excited) small built in closet and I pay 68000Y. Very excited to have my own space. Staff at Sakura House were very helpful and friendly, all very straight forward.

12:30pm Then onto Nakano City Office, which was very easy to find, signed all the way from Nakano station. Apply for my 'Alien Registration', all I have to do is provide my new address, 2 passport photos and fill in a form (which the lady basically had to rewrite in clear letters because my hand writing is bad). 10mins later I received a 'certificate of registration' that states I will receive my card on the 6th October.

1pm: Feeling like I am on a roll , I head back to Shinjuku (where they filmed a lot of 'Lost in translation') to try and set up a bank account. Citibank said that I can set one up once I have my official card. Mizuhou said I need to be here 6 months and have a hanko stamp (Stamp with japanese name)

2pm: Then thought I would try Roppongi (lots of foreigners live there)...
SMBC said I need a translator and MUFJ said I need to be here 6 months.
After 4 attempts, I gave up! I will see if I can speed up my Alien Registration card, and then head back to Citibank or will try another bank tomorrow (Shinsei is another option). I need an account for my consultation and 3-day training session at Gaba next Tuesday so want to get onto this one stat!

3pm: After that I head back to Asakusa and have a leisurely stroll through an area which really reminds me of Jordan in Amsterdam. Lots of small streets, bikes, very small cafes and flower pots on the street, I suppose a result of high density living...I stop at a 7-11 style shop called Lawsons and discover it is a 105Y mini mart. You know I love a bargain, and brought some chips, iced green tea, 4 bananas and some sushi (yes, sushi form a 7-11 seems to be ok here) all for 420Y...ha, bargain.

So for tomoz on a bike and phone mission and think I will have a another crack at the bank thing. Maybe head to Ikea or Muji for some nice new linen for the big move on Friday.

Most said word today: Arigatougozaimasu

3 comments:

  1. Cassie, it all sounds so exciting! Good luck on the bike hunt - does it seem like a bike-friendly city?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey you're a girl on a mission! Sounds fabulous and I love the blog - great way to keep your stories. Speaking of bikes, Mad's picked up yours from Croxton. Yes it was still there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michaela, It is really is a bike city, very dutch style bikes too, with high theft rate, back locks and even baby seat on front...although here they call them 'mama chari' bikes not oma fiets!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete